Monday, August 15, 2011

One of My Favorites!

I love Rhonna Farrer and her art. I love her spirit. She's been through that shadow valley, and keeps on running. She issued a call for a design team, and I just had to apply. I don't expect to be selected, but I couldn't pass up the chance to tell her I adore her!

{click to enlarge}

I created this 2-page spread to explore the things that inspire me, or lift me up. I used some of Rhonna Farrer's digital products. I don't do a lot of digital work, so this was a bit of a challenge for me. I really enjoyed it! These kits are so affordable, too.


There are so many things that inspire me. I love to listen to music while I'm running. It's a great opportunity to put the mind in neutral and let things just roll out. However, I also really enjoy romp times with my bunnies and kitties. I can see the hand of God in nature, natural patterns, phenomenal colors and designs. How can you not feel uplifted by spending time reflecting on all the goodness in the world?


And don't even get me started on flowers! It's been a slow start to summer here in Chicago. Today (yes, mid-August!) we finally saw our first marigold bloom! I love those flowers - they are simple to grow and pack a powerful punch!


What day is complete without laughter? I really enjoy a good laugh. Cabana Boy and I have a long list of movies we watch, and frequently quote. I love commemorating a good laugh with a quote or three!

That background piece behind "Laugh"? Yeah - that's two of Rhonna's paper making images - I used the base turquoise and overlaid it with the brown feathery swirls. I flipped the swirls on every quarter to create this shape which I cut out and adhered. I went around it with some pan pastels to tie the cutwork to the background.

I struggle with many issues, like so many of you. I find that I do best when I focus on uplifting thoughts and activities, and share whatever positive encouragement that I can along the way. I try to capture those feelings in my art whenever possible.


I'm showing you the laboratory slide, close up. I adhered a piece of Rhonna's clip art to the slide with glossy accents. When it dried, I rubbed all the paper away to leave the ink on the slide. If you look closely, you can see the background paper through the slide. I love transfers!

I love experimenting. My studio is more Lab than Art, so it's aptly named the Art Lab. I hope you'll come visit me on Ustream sometime. We'll have a ball and try out some new stuff! Thanks for stopping by!

Ta!
♥~ky

Recipe: gesso, distress inks, Basic acrylic paint, pan pastels, Rhonna Farrer's Urban Junque 2 and patterned paper making kit, Tim Holtz Alterations by Sizzix dies, misc stamps (Gina K and others), glass laboratory slides, Tim Holtz Fragments and tissue tape, Basic Grey Olivia stencil.

2 comments:

  1. Hey! I stopped by your blog... I love your title, how great and thanks for sharing your pages and process. I have never even heard about "Fake journals", how fun! It's like a writing group with art!!?? Thank you!
    Marianne :)
    ladybirdhope.blogspot.com
    Oh! I love flowers too, stop by and see some of my photos...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi There - This is my first time here - Loving what I am seeing so far - Fun Blog ... I have a Photography Journey Blog @ www.kristinelivinginthemoment.blogspot.com, if you are interested - Pop over and visit!
    ~Kristine

    ReplyDelete